Explore in minutes what other programs would take days or years to explore!
MESearch is an EFFICIENT Mathematical Expression Searcher or constant recognition program that, given a target constant, a tolerance, and the functions and constants to use in expressions, performs an EXHAUSTIVE search of the minimum-length expressions that yield the specified constant within the tolerance, and estimates the likelihood of found expressions being nonspurious. Its main aim is to find out interesting conjectures about constants both in theoretical physics and experimental mathematics, though it can have many other uses, for instance, finding approximations or finding the shortest expression equivalent to a given one.
The extraordinary efficiency of MESearch relies on its use of dynamic programming, equivalence detection, domain checking, multithreading, and very especially, bidirectional search.
You can DOWNLOAD and use MESearch FREE OF CHARGE.
- Exhaustive search.
- Search types: unidirectional and bidirectional.
- 2 termination conditions can be specified: search up to a given expression length and/or search down to a given expression likelihood.
- 38 available functions: arithmetic (6), algebraic (2), elementary (4), trigonometric (6), hyperbolic (6), special (12), and statistical (2).
- 169 available constants: common (2), well-known (21), number theory (54), analytic inequalities (5), approximation of functions (13), enumerating discrete structures (35), functional iteration (28), complex analysis (1), geometry (8), probability and stochastic processes (2), together with some natural and rational numbers.
- Allows adding user defined constants.
- Estimates the search cost when the specification is completed.
- For each expression found, estimates the likelihood of being nonspurious, by 3 different methods.
- Estimates the probabilities and expected numbers of false positives and false negatives (that can occur due to numerical or rounding errors...); usually they are small.
- Results and log can be saved.
- Available languages: Basque, English.
- Easy to use. Includes a detailed User Guide.
By downloading or using this software, you accept the following license conditions:
- You may use this software free of charge for any personal, educational or non-commercial purpose.
- You may not redistribute this software, and you may not sell or distribute any product containing this software. You may not sell, rent, lease, sub-license, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of this software in any form.
- You may not modify this software (with the exception of the files Launcher.bat and Launcher.sh as explained in them) or create derivative works of this software.
- You may not decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer this software.
- THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
MESearch uses the following third-party libraries:
- Part of Colt with the following license:
Packages cern.colt*, cern.jet*, cern.clhep:
Copyright (c) 1999 CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research.
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. CERN makes no representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without expressed or implied warranty.
- JIDE Common Layer with the following
GPL with classpath exception.
The algorithms used by MESearch open a new approach to constant recognition that exceeds other approaches in many aspects. The theoretical basis of MESearch is explained in the following article:
Requirements, installation and use
MESearch is an easy to use standalone Java application that does not require installation. It can be used in any operating system (Windows, Unix/Linux...) that supports Java. If you don't already have it installed, you will need to install Java before attempting to use MESearch. You only need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), which can be downloaded at http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp.
Next, click on the button below to download MESearch.
After downloading the file MESearch.zip, unzip it to a folder, and read the Readme.txt file before running the application. Further help and detailed instructions on the use of MESearch are provided in the User Guide, available in the Help menu in the application.